Judge Say Trump Contempt Ruling Lifted Updates: A New York judge has halted Donald Trump’s $10,000perday fine for failing to turn over documents in a state civil investigation and said Wednesday that if he meets certain conditions, including paying the $110,000 in fines he’s racked up so far, the former president’s contempt finding will be lifted entirely.Judge Arthur Engoron said he will conditionally lift Trump’s contempt finding if he submits additional affidavits detailing efforts to locate the subpoenaed records and explaining his and his company’s document retention policies by May 20; a firm he hired to assist in the search completes its work; and he pays the fines.
About Judge Say Trump Contempt Ruling Lifted
On April 25, Engoron found Trump in contempt and fined him $10,000 per day for failing to comply with a subpoena for documents in New York Attorney General Letitia James’ investigation into his business practises, which she claims has uncovered evidence that Trump may have misrepresented the value of assets such as skyscrapers and golf courses on financial statements for more than a decade.The total fines levied by Engoron cover the period from last Friday, when Trump’s lawyers submitted 66 pages of court documents describing his and his lawyers’ efforts to locate the demanded records. If the requirements laid forth by Engoron on Wednesday are not met, the fine could be reinstated.Also on Wednesday, a state appellate court will hear oral arguments in Trump’s appeal of Engoron’s Feb. 17 judgement compelling him to answer questions under oath in James’ probe.Trump’s attorney has been contacted for comment.
After Trump failed to submit any records by the March 31 date set by the subpoena, James, a Democrat, sought Engoron to hold him in contempt of court.Trump’s financial statements, financing and debt for a Chicago hotel project, development plans for his Seven Springs Estate north of New York City, and even communications with Forbes magazine, where he sought to burnish his image as a wealthy businessman, were among the documents sought by James’ office.In a May 6 filing, Trump attorney Alina Habba stated that the responses to the subpoena were comprehensive and proper, with no significant documents or information concealed.According to the complaint, Habba searched Trump’s offices and private quarters at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, and his home in Mar-a-Lago, Florida, but found no pertinent records that hadn’t already been produced. Other sites searched were file cabinets and storage spaces at the Trump Organization’s New York offices, according to the document.Trump added in a second sworn affidavit filed with the filing that no pertinent papers had not yet been produced.He also said he has two cellphones: one for personal use that he submitted in March for search as part of the subpoena, then submitted again in May; and a second phone he was recently given that he only uses to post on Truth Social, the social media network he started after being banned from Twitter, Facebook, and other platforms.Engoron’s criteria for relieving the contempt finding were broadly in line with the parameters laid out by James’ office in its response Monday to Trump and his legal team’s long brief last week in which they claimed to have exhausted all efforts to locate the requested records.The conditions sought by James’ office were for Trump to submit another affidavit detailing his and his company’s document and electronic device retention and destruction policies; and for Trump to allow the outside firm he hired, Haystack ID, to finish going through 17 boxes kept at an offsite storage facility and issue a report on its findings and turn over any relevant documents.