CES 2022: Samsung, SK Updates: According to industry insiders and one company, more than 30 personnel from prominent South Korean companies who visited the massive CES tech trade exhibition in Las Vegas last week tested positive forCOVID-19 while in the United States.
About CES 2022: Samsung, SK Group Officials Test For COVID-19
According to the sources, roughly 20 people from Samsung Electronics and about six people from SK Group, the parent company of energy provider SK Innovation and chipmaker SK Hynix, tested positive for the virus after visiting CES. They didn’t want to be recognized because they weren’t allowed to speak to the media. Six Hyundai Heavy Industries employees who attended CES 2022 tested positive and were quarantined, according to the company. Some have since been released.
Meanwhile, after returning to South Korea, “several” Hyundai Motor and Hyundai Mobis officials tested positive, according to South Korean publication Joong Ang Ilbo, which cited an unidentified industry source without disclosing the actual number of cases.
At a press conference, Son Young-rae, a top South Korean health ministry official, claimed, “Many Korean businesspeople who attended CES… are now verified to be infected with COVID-19.”
“We are contacting those who attended the event as soon as possible and conducting epidemiological investigations,” he said. “However, we urge domestic businesspeople or those who are in Korea who attended the event to undergo PCR tests as soon as possible.”
According to South Korean newspaper Chosun Ilbo, which cited unidentified industry sources, the majority of the Samsung officials who tested positive were flown back to Korea from Nevada in two chartered flights, arriving late on Tuesday Seoul time. The remaining Samsung officials are expected to be flown back on Wednesday. According to the publication, the Samsung officials are being relocated to quarantine facilities in South Korea, and the most of them are asymptomatic or have minor symptoms.
The Consumer Technology Association (CTA),which runs CES, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. “Many new individuals have had recent travel history, attended activities, and visited several areas where they could potentially have acquired their virus,” Nevada state health officials said. “There is no evidence tying the recent spike of COVID-19 cases to CES,” they said. Samsung Electronics has declined to comment on the cases’ specifics. It stated it “took a number of efforts to protect (CES) participants’ health and well-being,” including mandatory immunizations, mask mandates, social distancing protocols, and testing for all staff during the week.
The SK Group declined to comment, citing its policy of not revealing personal data. Multiple requests for comment to Hyundai Motor Group went unanswered.
According to the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency, South Korea recorded381 cases of diseases contracted over season Tuesday, a new high, increasing the total number of infections in the country to 4,388.
The surge in infections contracted overseas, according to Son of the Ministry of Health, is primarily attributable to the spread of the Omicron variety, however the number of CES participants who tested positive did have an impact.